Project blog #5

This project has allowed me to realize a lot about myself and who I am as a person. I remember for the first couple of days at UH, I was really quiet and more introverted. However, now that I somewhat understand the flow of the clinical days, I have been able to open up a little more and not be so quiet. I listen and engage in really funny stories with Dr. Schroeder and Melissa, interact at times with the patients, and meet the other fellows, residents, and doctors that are around, through whom I've learned some pretty cool things. In fact today I heard stories from an orthopedic surgeon of some crazy surgeries he has done in the OR that are both cool and scary. 

     I don't think there is anything I would do differently other than just starting the process earlier. I really appreciate Dr. Schroeder taking me and allowing me to observe her, but I definitely felt like I reached out to her a little later in the timeline. With that, my advice for next year's Hawken Project students is to get a head start and reach out to mentors as early as you can and to find someone in the school to help. I was lucky enough to have Hawken's athletic trainer, Sarah Royan, helping me get connected with Dr. Schroeder and UH. In addition, I urge students to find and do a project on something they are passionate and interested in. I am able to make connections and gain a lot of knowledge in a field that I want to go into all because of this project. Whether it is an internship, making something, or service, I think it is really important to be fully interested in it in order to take full advantage of this opportunity.  

Comments