Project Blog #7

With tomorrow being the last day of my project, I feel I have grown from beginning to end. First, I have developed a better sense of the world of sports medicine from the perspective of a doctor. I have always been used to being a patient with the many injuries I have suffered from sports, but now it is the opposite. This exposure is a good start to the long road I am about to go down to becoming a doctor. Another way I feel I have grown is through my personality. I mentioned in an earlier blog that this experience is out of my comfort zone, but in a good way. I am interacting with patients and learning about them, as well as other doctors, which requires good social skills. When I am in unfamiliar spaces, I tend to be on the quieter side. While I am a shadow listening to the conversations between Dr. Schroeder and her patients much of the time, other times I need to be extroverted and friendly. To put it another way, I have been able to grow from more introverted to more extroverted and balance it. 

Finally, another thing I have been able to learn is time management. I get to clinic at 8 am and, depending on the day, leave around noon or 5 pm. The 8-5 days are a lot longer than I am used to, so I have learned and grown to manage my day around the hours. I have also been able to learn the difficulty of keeping a schedule on track with all of the patients she sees and how one thing, like the number of rooms or if a person needs injections, can throw it all off. 


Dr. Schroeder's clinic schedule, which I still haven't memorized even after a couple of weeks!

This experience has been a really good way to see what being in sports medicine was like, and allowed me to grow personally, so with that, thank you to everyone who helped with this project! 

Comments