Project Blog #3
As I mentioned in my second blog post, one thing I am really learning how to do is ultrasound scanning. I have been able to watch a lot of ultrasound injections, which are steroid injections guided by the ultrasound probe and images. Dr. Schroeder also does joint aspiration, which is when she drains fluid from the knee or other joints. These procedures are done to help alleviate pain from patients who mainly suffer from arthritis. First she injects numbing medicine and then switches to a mix of the steroid and more numbing. I have been able to learn how to scan different joints, the easiest being the knee.
Above is the ultrasound machine. It is really cool to see a different view of the joint, although it takes a lot of practice to understand what you are looking at. That is one of the things Dr. Schroeder has been teaching me. The picture on the machine is of my own knee, and you can see the femur, meniscus, and tibia with my MCL on the top. It took me a while to understand what exactly what I am looking at, but I have learned that the straight white lines are bone, shinier lines are tendons, and more sporadic lines are fat pads. Black ovals are sacks of fluid, which can be drained if severe enough (I don't have any in the images included). It is also really cool to see the procedures being one because you can see the needles going through the fat and into the joints, the fluid being drained, or the steroid being injected. Dr. Schroeder explained how it is really useful to find the target spot she is trying to get to, which you can watch on the screen.
In order to see the image, you need to use the ultrasound transducer, which is the thing in my hand. The probe needs A LOT of gel to see the image and guide the probe on the skin, but it is really satisfying to put more gel on. Today, I practiced a lot on my knee and Dr. D'Amico's (the resident working with Dr. Schroeder) knee when we had breaks in between patients. It is one thing to watch the procedures being done and the images on the screen, but it is another to do it myself, which I find really cool that they are letting me use it.
So far, I have been able to somewhat help with the procedures. I help take pictures and videos using the machine of the needle and injection. I think the procedures are the coolest thing I have learned about so far, followed by the effect of arthritis since it is something that I will most likely deal with when I am older because of my ACL tear. Arthritis can lead to many injuries, a lot more than I thought previously. Dr. Schroeder jokes that her job is boring because most of her patients have arthritis and need injections, but I think both are really interesting.


Glad to see you are getting some hands on experience. It's really cool that the resident is taking time to teach you things.
ReplyDelete